April 08, 2006 John Adams by David McCullough
651 pages. Finished 04/08/06.

Yes, I have finally finished this tome! It's only taken me four and a half months of reading on and off, but I really did enjoy it. Perhaps Mr. McCullough's only criticism could be that he likes details just a bit too much. He skillfully wove the letters, papers and diaries of Mr. Adams and his peers into the writing, but there were some things that I could have lived without. I didn't need to know the location of every business in Philadelhpia in 1775, for example. But nonetheless, it was a great look at our second President, about whom I knew comparatively little.

One final quotation, this one written to his granddaughter, Caroline:
You are not singular in your suspicions that you know but little. The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think, and the more anxiously I inquire, the less I seem to know....Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough.... (p. 650)

Labels: , , ,

posted by Jenn at 2:03 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Books Read In...
2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011


Powered By
Content on this site is property of Jenn.