May 11, 2007 My Favourite Goodbye by Sheila O'Flanagan
When this book arrived in the mail from Brazil, I was a bit overwhelmed at the length. I never thought the book would keep me interested for almost 600 pages. I figured I'd give it a go, but I'd be passing it on to the next reader before I got halfway through.

I guess I really need to stop judging books before I dive in because I absolutely loved this book. The romance was understated and while Ash's obvious mental issues grated on me a bit, I really liked watching her gradual journey to a truer self. There were real issues in this book that was tackled. It wasn't the run-of-the-mill chick lit and I really identified with that. You knew that she somehow had to end up with the guy, but you didn't really know until the very end whether it would really happen.

I also really enjoyed the evolution of the relationship between the cousins. Their eventual reconciliation reminded me of a quotation from another book I loved (from my adolescence), Glass Slippers Give You Blisters [paraphrased]: "Sometimes bones don't heal right when they are broken. Then you have to break it again for it to heal properly."

The incredibly omniscient narrator that switched 3rd-person points of view within the same page was a little off-putting at first, but it worked well as the book progressed. By the time I was about 200 pages into it, I was hooked and I couldn't put it down. I'll have to check for other titles by this author.

Labels:

posted by Jenn at 6:55 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Books Read In...
2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011


Powered By
Content on this site is property of Jenn.