January 04, 2008 The Second Assistant by Clare Naylor & Mimi Hare
I just finished my first book of the year and I really liked it. This one had been on my wishlist for some time, probably from my days in LA, if you can believe it. I think I either saw it in Borders or read about it in a magazine. Now, that I have the "appropriate" distance from my entertainment career and since I'm considering diving back into that world, I thought I'd finally read it.

At first, I was a bit put off by what I perceived to be a condescending tone, explaining things about the industry and how it works. But I quickly realized that it was my own inner bias and not the authors with the tone. Most people don't know how things work, so it makes sense to explain the "obvious" choices and rationales behind decisions and actions. I guess some things never leave you. ;)

I was also a little bit leery of how similar the main character and I are (both political scientists, worked on the Hill, got our first Hollywood job through connections, constantly afraid of being fired, etc.), but in the end, it actually made it more enjoyable. I really liked the evolution of Lizzie and how she realizes that there is *some* merit in what she does, even if it seems crazy.

Sometimes the men were a little hard to follow and it seemed like some plotlines got dropped halfway through, but overall, I really liked. Unlike other novels about real life things, this book didn't seem to be skewering anyone or trying to get back at the evil bosses who screwed them. I'm excited to grab the sequel in the next few weeks.

Labels:

posted by Jenn at 10:36 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Books Read In...
2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011


Powered By
Content on this site is property of Jenn.