December 09, 2008 Always The Bridesmaid by Sarah Webb
This book has been on my list for quite a while. Seemed like one of the quintessential chick lit books that I should read.

It wasn't awful, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. First of all, the title is a little misleading. The main character, Amy, isn't like in danger of breaking the 27 Dresses record or anything. It just happens that her best friend and her sister get engaged before her and pretty close to each other and plan their weddings a week apart. Amy may have just broken up with her fiancee (and SHE did the breaking up), but she sees plenty of action in this book, so I really don't know what the big deal is.

Beyond that, Amy was pretty awful to people most of the time and seemed to be deliberately making things harder for herself just so she could whine about it. I really don't understand why the "main" guy kept even speaking to her, much less asking her out because she was a total bitch most of the time.

The book is also littered with common and not-so-common Irish slang, which was a little bit frustrating. The author is Irish as are the characters, so I don't blame them, but it was hard to figure out what on Earth they were talking about sometimes because I just don't know the vernacular. Also, there's a ridiculous typo on page 290 of my copy that I just can't believe got all the way through to the printing stage.

All that aside, this book put me over last year's total, so I am ahead of where I was a year ago! I am hoping to get at least one more book read before the end of the year when the challenge starts all over again. :)

Labels: ,

posted by Jenn at 6:20 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Books Read In...
2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011


Powered By
Content on this site is property of Jenn.