December 03, 2008 The Seduction of the Crimson Rose by Lauren Willig
Three days behind schedule, I finished the last of the published books in this series. I didn't love it, but it was still engaging and had enough twists and turns to keep me guessing. Reading these three books in a row in a short period of time, I caught onto the pattern in Willig's books: the first 19th-century female and male mentioned when grad student Eloise drifts away into their world will at first hate each other and then as they are forced together by circumstance or convention, they will declare their love around page 300 and commence with the romance novel sex. Perhaps all chick lit has this kind of formula, but by the time I finished this book, it was growing a little thin with me.

I was also a little disappointed that we didn't get more from the Eloise/Colin storyline. I feel like the earliest books had about 1 Eloise/Colin chapter every 2-3 19th century chapter. But now it seems to go 6-8 chapters before we check back into the modern day romance. I wasn't as interested in the romantic leads of this book, so the relative lack of Eloise/Colin was a little frustrating. Of course, what we did get was enlightening and answered a lot of questions from the first book.

Lauren Willig is still one of my favorite authors (even if I'm crazy jealous of her ability to simultaneously write a series of novels, complete law school AND a PhD [both from Harvard]) and I'm still eagerly awaiting the new novel in January. I think I'm just ready for a break from the Pink Carnation universe for a while.

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Jenn at 5:47 PM 1 comments

1 Comments:

Hi!
The books in this serious sound really interesting; I guess I'm gonna have to hit the library!

I'm also doing something similar to the 50-in-365 challenge; I'm doing 52 books in 52 weeks. If you're still looking for books you might want to check out my blog on that: www.52booksand52weeks.blogspot.com

(PS - I found out about your blog because tortiecat86 and I are LJ friends.) Keep up the reading! :D

By Blogger Ellie, at 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment


Books Read In...
2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011


Powered By
Content on this site is property of Jenn.