January 25, 2009 Dixieland Sushi by Cara Lockwood
I actually really liked this one! It was a departure from the other books by her that I've read, but that's actually a good thing. I could really relate to one of the major themes in the book - being half-"ethnic" in a time and place where seeming NOT is the way to go. Even though the character was half-Japanese and living in a small Southern town, I could totally empathize with a lot of her identity issues and struggles while dealing with the normal chick lit fodder of work, men and weddings.

The present-day plot was interwoven between 80s flashbacks to Jen's growing up times in Dixieland, Arkansas. Though she was obviously a few years older than me, I definitely loved the 80s nostalgia and the grade/middle/high school humiliations that went with it. It was a fun read, even if some of the plot points were predictable. Definitely recommend!

Labels: , ,

posted by Jenn at 1:20 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Books Read In...
2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011


Powered By
Content on this site is property of Jenn.