January 13, 2009 Starting from Square Two by Caren Lissner
This book had been on my list for such a long time. I'm not sure how I came across it, but when I found it at the library a couple weeks ago, I grabbed it.

It wasn't a typical chick lit book because the main character is a 29-year-old widow. Her husband of 3 years died in a car accident 4 days before September 11th (which also figures more prominently than I would have guessed). Her two friends are a bit more unstable than you usually see in these books - and while she eventually explains it, I spent a long time wondering why the hell Gert spent any time with them.

There was some uncertainty, but most of the plot was pretty straight-forward. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, but I think that's kinda the theme - that's how Gert spends her whole life these days. The ending was kinda open-ended, but I liked that. Maybe I should give that P.S. I Love You book a try after all.

Labels: , ,

posted by Jenn at 12:49 PM 1 comments

1 Comments:

Maybe you read about this when I read it the year before last :-) It was an enjoyable book - very sharp writing, as I recall. Have you read her other book Carrie Pilby? I'm still not sure what I think of it. Would be interested to hear if you classify these as chick lit. Also, can give a high recommend to P.S. I Love You, which is a lovely book, I think Cecelia Ahern's best.

By Blogger Katie, at 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment


Books Read In...
2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011


Powered By
Content on this site is property of Jenn.