February 07, 2009 another miss
I read about 150 pages of The Winthrop Woman by Anya Seton, but I just couldn't get into it. I respect Ms. Seton's dedication to historical accuracy, but I think she sacrificed the plot to get all the details in. Some incidents were described in excruciating detail and then there were huge glosses over events, skipping months and years ahead. But almost 1/3 of the way through the book and we were still in England. Since I was expecting a tale of early New England life for the settlers, spending that much time in England seemed entirely unnecessary. But it was obvious that there was source material for that, so it must be included.

I just couldn't take it any longer, so back to the library it went.

Labels: ,

posted by Jenn at 7:32 PM 2 comments

2 Comments:

Sorry my Anya Seton rec didn't pan out! I think her first book, Katherine, is meant to be a lot better (still haven't read anything by her, but that one is the one my friends who like her keep recommending me). Definitely understandable if you want to read someone else for awhile, though, I should say!

By Blogger Katie, at 10:54 PM  

Not your fault. ;) I was looking for Katherine, but this was what the library had, so I picked it up. Parts of it were really good, but it just seemed to drag and drag for no good reason other than there was obviously primary source material describing these events and she wanted to include it. It was also written in a different time and I think I'm just used to more modern authors' styles. If I see Katherine, I'll probably pick it up, but probably nothing else by this author.

By Blogger Jenn, at 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment


Books Read In...
2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011


Powered By
Content on this site is property of Jenn.