April 02, 2011 Little White Lies by Gemma Townley
Just like all the books I've read by Ms. Townley recently, this book starts with an easily correctable mistake that our heroine allows to continue to snowball until it reaches a boiling point and she must come clean. It's something of a pattern now (even though this book was written before the series I just read by her), so I've gotten used to it. But it doesn't make it any easier when I see the heroine say or do something so opposite what I would do and then try to get sympathy from me (the reader).

Luckily, this time our heroine is relatable and you can almost understand why she has done what she does. As someone who's moved to multiple "big cities" without friends there, I totally understood her frustration and isolation, stuck home watching television while the "cool" neighbor upstairs has a party. Ditto the wanting to show those back home that you are totally fine, everything is awesome and you don't regret your decision in the slightest. I don't think I would have struggled as long as she did with Cressida's mail, but I probably would have tried to steam it open as well.

But after she drunk dials "the guy," I didn't understand why she didn't give her real name. A funny story over drinks about the mysterious former occupant would have been so much less complicated for Natalie. Sure, sure, wouldn't have had a conflict, but I think the book was so much better when dealing with her feeling out of place, trying to find where she fits in the trendy neighborhood, dealing with the horrid boss and making random friends. Just frustrating to watch Natalie get in deeper and deeper when there were a hundred moments when she could have stopped it all and it would have turned out fine.

Labels: ,

posted by Jenn at 12:35 AM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Books Read In...
2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015


Powered By
Content on this site is property of Jenn.