June 30, 2011 Swept Off Her Feet by Hester Browne
I finished this book on a recent flight as I left on vacation and I was sad to see it end. I was definitely glad I was already in flight because I would have been hard pressed not to grab my passport and head to Scotland for castles, reeling and kilted gentlemen!

The main character grew on me as we went along, though the same cannot for some of the other characters. Evie's family is mentioned a lot and seeming bombshell events from the past are mentioned, but it all seems like a surface writing. It almost feels like Evie isn't really related to them because while she's annoyed by them when they interfere in her life, she's otherwise unconcerned by them. Her sister behaves very uncharacteristically at one point and Evie is content to text her and lie for her instead of going to find out what the hell is going on. And then the sister's explanation is ludicrous, but apparently true, since everyone just accepts it. I really enjoyed the interplay between Evie and Rob because while it follows the chick lit trope that the first standoffish man who interacts with our heroine will end up her love interest, it doesn't get too serious too fast.

I actually think this book would work better as a movie because reading about reeling is like dancing about architecture (to borrow a phrase). There were times I was definitely confused by the descriptions, but if you are a reeling enthusiast, you probably know what she's talking about. That said, it would make a perfect Saturday afternoon Lifetime movie (like I Do, But I Don't). Are you listening, Hollywood?!

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Jenn at 6:56 PM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Books Read In...
2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011


Powered By
Content on this site is property of Jenn.