July 31, 2011 Shelf Discovery: The Teen Classics We Never Stopped Reading by Lizzie Skurnick
I added this book to my TBR list after Meg Cabot mentioned her essay in it. I was a voracious reader as a child and still have fond memories of many of the books I devoured during that time. I was excited to read about those book by other people who enjoyed them as I did.

However, it turns out that with the exception of Meg Cabot's essay and about three others, I hadn't read any of the other "teen classics" mentioned herein. I guess my devotion to "Sweet Valley Twins," "Sleepover Friends" and "The Fabulous Five" series limited my other reading possibilities. I really did enjoy Meg's essay about Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret as well as the author's essay about Little House in the Big Woods. I was happy to see the inclusion It's Not The End of the World, but it's "extra credit" write up left a lot to be desired.

I ended up skimming most of this book since the essays assume episodic knowledge of the book being discussed. Since I'm not a serial re-reader of anything, much less novels I read as a child, it was hard to follow most of the essays, even those about books I had read. Disappointing.


I also gave up on page 5 of Hating Valentine's Day. Just knew it wasn't going to be a book I would enjoy. I'm really trying to read all the Red Dress Ink books, but that one just wasn't going to cut it for me.

Labels: , , , , ,

posted by Jenn at 12:06 AM 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Books Read In...
2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011


Powered By
Content on this site is property of Jenn.